Monday, July 22, 2013

Soundtracks

The other morning, Caroline woke up and told me that she had a dream with a soundtrack. I love that! Often as I am driving around, I create a soundtrack in my head. I have even chosen theme songs over the years. I am especially moved when I am driving on a long trip and the music makes me feel like I am in an independent film. Caroline and I like to turn to each other and declare "indie film moment!"

Music is a huge part of my life. I have always loved alt rock and folk, regardless of the decade. There seem to be certain albums/artists that remind me so much of pivotal moments in my life. Unfortunately, most of those revolve around death. Ironically, hearing them doesn't make me sad; it makes me happy. Even though I listened to them at some of the saddest moments of my life, they trigger the happiest memories. It is especially wonderful when I hear the songs unexpectedly.

My father loved U2. We played a lot of U2 the weekend after his passing. To this day, whenever I here "With or Without You" it feels like a special hello from my father. The summer before my Gramma Hill passed away, I was hooked on Illinois by Sufjan Stevens. I spent the whole time driving around CT listening to it. On a side note, it is one of the most brilliant albums I've ever heard. That March, Cat Stevens' Footsteps in the Dark was in the CD player. I listened to it all the way to the hospital. There was a surprise March snow. I remember how ironic it was the I was driving through such a beautiful scene, listening to beautiful music, on the way to one of the saddest moments of my life.

 This summer it has been The Lumineers. I first listened to the album when I was driving to GA. It was the perfect "indie film moment." Lily and I were driving down a tree lined southern highway, finding pictures in the cloud and listening to fun acoustic music. You can also add Fun. to that list now. Last weekend, Caroline and I went to see them with one of my best friends and her daughter. It ended up storming and we rocked out in the rain, feeling like the coolest mothers in the world.

No comments: