Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve has never been my favorite holiday. The only time that I can remember being excited about it was when I was fifteen and stayed up to watch MTV's top videos of the year. I've often thought that it was a forced holiday. You are supposed to have the time of your life, live it up, party hard. I have never been able to do those things.

When we were first together, Rob and I tried going out a few times, but it was always too loud and too crowded. We started enjoying the evening more once we decided to start staying home and watching movies. Low key works best for us. We watch movies until 11:55, switch to watch the ball drop, and then toast with sparkling grape juice (it tastes better and is cheaper).

This year is no exception. I am sitting here in my holiday finest, the red and white polka dot pjs Rob bought me for Christmas. So soft, so cozy. I pity the fools out there freezing their butts off in little black dresses.

Today was a great day. My favorite mommy friend came over with her three girls. I taught them the fine art of making Saltine candy http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,156162-242200,00.html and pretzel turtles (put a Rollo on a pretzel square, put it in the oven for a few minutes to soften, top with a pecan half and pig out). The kids played and squealed, we laughed at the antics of her two year old, and shared families stories, and book and movie recommendations (all in two minutes clip between chaos). We realized that it was dark and dinner time, so Caroline helped make mac and cheese for the kids and the grown ups had hot bean soup. Later I let the kids toast with sparkling grape juice (general opinion: too spicy!). They ended the evening watching Sponge Bob like exhausted zombies.

As for the rest of tonight, I'll try to find a good movie on TV and hang out with Caroline and Rob. Relaxing, lying like broccoli, chillaxing! Happy New Year! Wishing you all peace, love, safety, health, and happiness!

No comments: