Saturday, February 7, 2009


I have a dry erase calendar that I fill in every Sunday night in order to help everyone man their post and remember where they are going. As I transferred dates from my calendar to the dry erase, I realized that I done it again. I managed to over book myself. I had a week of hell to look forward to. Oh well, I decided to make the best of it and view it as blog fodder. I almost made it through, too.

Monday: It was a half day at school. I planned on meeting with teachers and writing my progress reports before my best friend's (our speech therapist) baby shower at 3:00. The computer could not read my files off of my flash drive and then I lost Internet connection. I spent the rest of the afternoon running between the library to help set up the shower and writing the reports by hand. I have wicked carpal tunnel and by the time of the shower I looked like a sweating lunatic with a shriveled hand. Of course I was the gift recorder at the shower.

Tuesday: Yeah!, it's our long awaited movie night with my friends from work. The last one was snowed out. The one before that was in August. But wait, my sitter has an observation for her student teaching, and Lily will be at the back up sitters and Caroline will be with me. Oh yeah, it's drum lesson night. Well, Rob saved me. He met me at the back up sitter to get Lily and take Caroline to drum lessons. I think he was tired of listening to me share my feelings and ask for advice about others' feelings. Clearly, a girls night out was over due. The movie was OK (New in Town). The company was great. After it was over (9:00 pm), I went to Michael's to get stuff to make swaps for our girl scout ceremony on Wednesday. When I got home, I took out the recycling and hummed "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan...." This week was turning out to be doable. I went in and made the swaps, but was too tired to fold the six baskets of sorted laundry left from Saturday.

Wednesday: I teach in the morning then go to an Autism training from 1-4. At 4:30 I go to a training on word study that is conveniently at the school where my troop meets. I get permission to leave the training at 6:30 for scouts. At 6:00 during our bathroom break I look in the cafeteria where we are supposed to have our court of awards and see it set up for a school play. Oh crap! I call my co leader and meet her at the door. She is almost in tears and I am ready to fall on the floor. Did I mention that we were having a K-9 officer coming as well to help the girls with their Bronze award project? There was no space for the officer, the dog, and my troop. I went into the principal's office and begged for a space. They gave us the story room, but we'd have to do the dog outside. It was 13 degrees and I was dressed in tights and a dress. No worries, though. As the girls arrived, I found out the K-9 officer wouldn't be able to come after all. It work out. That is until I sent Caroline out to my car to get her vest. It turns out that while rushing from training to training, I'd locked my keys in my car. Rob again came to the rescue (not without colorful language and heavy sighs). The ceremony went well and I finally got home at 8:00. I hadn't eaten since 11:00. I was still smiling, though.

Thursday: I didn't have anyone to take Lily to school or pick her up (my sitter is still doing her student teaching observations). I take Lily with me to school for an 8:15 meeting (I am able to do this because I take sick leave for the morning and am there unofficially), then take her to school at 9:00. Rob agrees to pick her up during lunch and bring her to the back up sitters. At 9:15, I meet with the autism specialist about a student of mine who is having trouble. I take four pages of notes about accommodations that I'm not sure I can possibly do. After school at 4:00, I have my bi weekly 2 hour testing training and then go to a PTA meeting at 6:30. I forgot to mention that on Wednesday night, the rabbit was acting very sick and appeared to be at death's door. We decided it was time to take him to the vet and have him put down. Before I went into the PTA meeting, I called the vet and made an appointment for Friday morning. I didn't expect to start crying and spent the meeting with a very red face. Luckily, I haven't had time to get my hair cut and was able to hide behind what is starting to look like a Mrs. Brady shag cut. I rushed home after the meeting to check on the rabbit. Rob had moved him into Caroline's room. The bunny was laying in the arms of a hysterical Caroline while she said goodbye. The next thing I know, the rabbit leaps out of her arms and starting hopping and jumping all over the room. He acts like he's two instead of eleven. I cancel the appointment for the next morning.

Friday: The day was normal until we got called into a budget meeting at the end of the day. I'm told that there will be no money for my position next year. I had a feeling this would happen and am interviewing for another position at the same school. None the less, I am heart broken over seeing my program being undone and start crying, hard. I pick up the kids and go home to make pound cake for the girl scout bake sale on Saturday. After the kids go to bed, I take the cake out and it is awful. I pitch it and decide to finally fold the laundry.

Saturday: Caroline had swimming at 10:30. We had the bake sale at 11:30. I took her to a party at 2:00 and then went across town to pick up our girl scout cookie order. I went back across town to pick up Caroline. It really wasn't that bad because we got to listen to The Voyage of the Dawn treader without listening to Lily complain.

I did get up early enough to put a pot roast in the crock pot, so dinner was easy. I can't understand why I've had the thumping intro from Queen and David Bowie's Pressure running through my head, though. I think that I might sleep in tomorrow.

No comments: