Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Snow Blind Crazies

We had MLK Day off and got hit with snow and freezing temps right after. We are currently going on day four of being here at home together. It all started innocently enough; Caroline got dragged to the dentist office on Monday to wait out Lily's cleaning all in the hopes of a trip to the mall. At the dentist office, the grouchy hygienist gleefully seriously shared the news that Lily has three cavities, needs four teeth pulled, and needs a spacer put in (a clever named for a permanent retainer that your child will bitch about non-stop). Yet again she had to remind me of the "gravity" (yes her words) of keeping all of the appointments. I missed one round of orthodontist appointments after my mother died and can't seem to be forgiven. Then the receptionist did not want to seem to want to take the time to make the very important appointments.

Yet again, I felt like the worlds crappiest parent. What else can be thrown Lily's way? I sat in the car for a moment while the girls assured me that I was a good mom and the hygienist was a bitch (that came from the oldest, her word choice didn't really solidify me as mother of the year).

We headed to my favorite place, the mall, where I managed to endure people breathing my air and went on the almost impossible search for jeans for skinny girls with long legs. I have spent my entire life searching for jeans for girls with big butts and short legs, naturally, I assumed if you can't find jeans for short and curvy, then tall and skinny must be cake. I was so very wrong! So my question is who are the jeans in the store meant to fit? We finally left with some jeans, sweaters, and really bad attitudes.

On Tuesday, we waited with bated breathe for the snow to fall. The anticipation of snow is the closest thing that I will ever get to that Christmas Eve feeling. Lily was thrilled to have her birthday off from school (after she had inquired ten different ways as to how I would get her cupcakes to school and when). By Wednesday, the snow was wearing thin. The temperatures were in the single digits. After shoveling the driveway, I decided to buck up and take Lily sledding. Yes it was cold as hell, but this might be our last chance for snow and I didn't want to regret missing this opportunity. Lily and I trekked along to the sledding hill with her asking about twenty questions a minute. When we got there, the big hill was full of kids. Lily decided to stay on the small hill in order to avoid the crowd. While Lily and I took turns going down the "Scooby Doo Coaster" of hills, the kids on the other hill tried snowboarding over a ramp. One of them flipped and landed on his head. I shuffled over to look at his wrist. His big brother politely replied "His wrist is fine, mam', but his head is bleeding." I looked over to see blood gushing from his head. I put my gloves on his head and told him to press hard. I watched them head into their house (they assured me their mother was home), and went back to Lily.

Once we found out that we had tomorrow off, it all hit the fan. Lily bounced around the house talking non-stop. When she finally landed for a minute, she grabbed Caroline's book, which lead to a tugging match and Lily almost losing her thumb. Thank goodness we get to leave the house tomorrow and go to violin lessons.


No comments: