Thursday, August 13, 2015

Mother Hen

One of the many ideas that I considered as a second career was some sort of parent out reach. Not that I think I'm the perfect parent, far from it, but I do think young mothers need more of a sounding board. They need someone to listen without judgement. In past generations, our society lived close together or with extended families.Young mothers got the support they needed that way.

Well, as chance would have it, I have unofficially found myself with that job. I am surrounded by young mothers through work and my sister in law. It should not be surprising at all that I feel very protective of them. I had a few over for lunch this summer. It was so much fun to have my house full of babies and toddlers.

It was also so wonderful to be able to say time and time again "Your baby is perfect. Follow your instincts." and my favorite "No one goes to college wearing diapers, with a binky, sleeping in their parents' bed."

I had the hardest time as a young mother because everything seemed so life and death. "If you don't choose the right stroller, your child will have weak posture and end up with a hunched back." I'm exaggerating, but I'm sure anyone who has had a small child gets my drift. I felt so judged by my parenting choices. I leaned toward a modified attachment parent style. I didn't have a looking glass at the time that could show me that my girls wouldn't just survive, they'd thrive. I just went with my gut and beat myself up at night. Thank goodness the internet was new then. If I'd had all of the websites and snarky social media posts to navigate like these women do, I would have lost my mind.

Unfortunately, because we are living in a time of supposed transparency, people seem to think they have a say in your life. I also think people feel free to say things through the comment section that they would never say to your face. Although, one of my friends got face to face advice from a "well meaning" person at a restaurant. I am so glad I wasn't there. I have a feeling I would have had some suggestions for the advice. I am on the other end of motherhood. My girls are the proof that following what works for your family, well, works!

The internet has created one of my favorite parts of modern motherhood: the blog! There is an entire world out there full of bright, hysterical, fearless mothers. It is wonderful to know that you are not alone. But sometimes, you need that support from a face to face source. That's where I come in. I am going to be the Lorax of young mothers "I speak for the mommies." You'll find no judgement here. Only support.

No comments: