Sunday, April 26, 2009

Growing Pains

My girls are growing up so fast. I took Caroline last week to get her first pair of "high heels" (wedge heeled sandals) for her graduation in June. I wanted to give her time to practice. Both my girls only wear sneakers. She looked so grown up and so calm as she walked through Target in them. No wobbling or "Bambi on ice" as I had predicted. It was like she was made for this moment. Yeah, I cried in Target.

Lily has started soccer. Well, that's a relative term. She's had two games and has spent a record breaking tow minutes on the field. When Rob signed her up and signed himself up to coach, I knew this was going to be tricky. We had this same problem with swimming. Lily is bright, funny, and precocious. She is also easily overwhelmed. I think of it as she has no filter. She takes in everything in a new situation, the people, what they are saying, their clothes, their hair, etc. Therefore, she really dislikes change. She liked the idea of playing with the kids on her team, but throw in different kids on the opposing team (wearing a different color) and add the fact that she has really never played soccer and she is not happy.

I went against my crunchy tendencies and used the "carrot and stick approached." In others words I bribed her (we'll get ice cream after), threatened her (no T.V.), and guilted her (your team will be sad). I know it sounds harsh, but I can't give her an inch. We really have to push her to get used to new situations. Anyway, it worked a little. Two minutes is better than last weeks cry and hang on Mommy. She also watched the game because she asked questions. When our team scored their fourth goal for the other team, Lily wanted to know how they were supposed to know whose goal was whose. Valid point.

Rob is going to take her outside and practice with her this week. We really just want her to have fun. She loves to run and dribble, so I think once she gets used to the people, she'll be fine. I really can't blame her. She looked so confused out there. There were so many kids and so much noise. I have a feeling this is the first of many times we are going to have to gently coach Lily to do something.

You know, just when you think you have it all figured out, they go and change things up on you.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Hi - I just wandered over from Betsy's blog..... How old is Lily?
We just signed my four-year-old up for soccer, which I was SURE he would love. Nope! He spent the entire practice glued to daddy's side, begging to go home! YIKES. I know what you mean about bribing, threatening, guilting, etc. Maybe next week ;)

mooserbeans said...

Lily is four. We started our oldest (who's now 11) at six and it was much easier, although she's since quit. Good luck and thanks for reading:)