Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Grace Under Pressure

Anytime that I feel that I have the most unruly children in the world, I need to go back and read this post. Sure potty humor, whining, and arguing reign supreme on a daily basis here, but when the going gets tough, I have the most remarkable daughters.

On Sunday, our friends from college came to visit with their daughters. Their visits are always my favorite. They girls run around happy and giggling and we exchange stories from the trenches of working parentdom. Usually, Rob is pretty goofy. He alternates between wrestling on the floor and when the kids go upstairs he lapses into the adults only humor he's known for. This time, though, he was quiet and at one point almost feel asleep on the couch. He hasn't been feeling well lately and I've been pushing him into exercising with us more. Honestly, I thought he was being a bit of a brat and ignored him during most of the visit.

That night, after everyone had left and we'd cleaned up, Rob called me over to him and explained that he'd been having chest pains all day and he thought we should go to the hospital. I quickly explained the situation to Caroline and she jumped into action, gathering sweat shirts and books to take with us. I scooped my poor little Lily out of bed and plunked her in the car. On the way, Rob tried to cut the silence by joking that we'd finally found a way to get the girls to sit in the back without arguing.

Have I ever mentioned that we live in a very populated area? Well, a good portion of that population seemed to be in the ER . Once Rob had a EKG, they let him come sit with us in the waiting room. I figured that if he were having a heart attack, that wouldn't have happened, so I set about trying to assure the girls. I pulled out my cross stitch (I needed something to keep my hands busy otherwise, I would start flapping and hovering around Rob). I sat there like Ma Walton and chatted with the girls. I can't even tell you what I was blathering about. I do know that I had the constant battle in my head, one part was mad at Rob for not taking better care of himself, and of course, the inner mommy was so proud of Caroline and Lily.

Over the next three hours, Rob would go back for one test or another and then come back to wait with us. I figured that if it were an emergency, he would have been put in a room. By then it was 1:00 am and the girls really needed to go to bed (I was also getting very tired of the three obnoxious boys who were running laps around and past their sick grandmother). I talked to Rob and we decided that I should take the girls home and he'd call me. Once we got home, I tucked them in and went downstairs to watch TV and wait. I watched The World According to Garp (prob. not the best choice when your waiting for your sick husband). Rob finally called me at 5:00 am. He had a pulled muscle in his chest, but was otherwise fine. I have so many things to be thankful for.

No comments: