Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bittersweet

Our lives are full of transition right now. Both girls and I getting ready to start brand new lives in the fall and are getting ready to end our old ones this week.

Next year I will be teaching first grade. I have taught special education for 15 years. So much of my identity is wrapped up in being a special education teacher. I am excited about the change, but will miss so much of my old position. I wrote my last IEP this week and teared up on the way home. I know there is a class of 23 children waiting for my love and attention and all will be fine. I'll just miss my LD kiddos. The thought of someone else working with them makes me sad.

In two days Caroline will graduate from 5th grade. I can't believe she'll be in sixth grade. i was looking at the middle school website and couldn't believe how old the eighth graders looked. That will be her in three short years. She's had a rough year and I know this is just the tip of the iceberg. I know how amazing she is, but for some reason, she is a teasing magnet. She is so much like me. The difference is I can stand by her and help her stay strong and true to who she is. It will be strange for her to be at a school where I don't know everyone, but it will be good for both of us. She signed up for band and is very excited. She also has a week long orientation. That should help too.

Lily will be going to a brand new daycare/preschool in August. She has been with the same sitter since she was 7 months old. My sitter won't be watching kids next year, so we had to find a new place. I love the place we chose. it is brand new and right down the street. I'm sure she'll love it and they will love her (it's kind of hard not to). Right now, she's very excited, but I'm sure they'll be some tears in August.

For the time being, we have an entire lazy summer to look forward to. Lots of pool and library. We have two whole months to get ready for a new adventure and rest up from this one.

No comments: